We have an immediate opening for a Communications Manager in the Marketing Department. This full time, exempt, salaried position works with the Chief Marketing Officer and other staff to develop our overall communications strategy and manage a strong, proactive media relations campaign to meet and/or exceed our annual goals.
Summary of position and duties:
- Draft and execute communications programs and policies for Bureau.
- Maintain Crisis Communications Plan.
- Serve as Austin CVB copywriter on all corporate communication.
- Provide support to executive leadership and serve as spokesperson for the Bureau. Organize and schedule interviews for appropriate ACVB or hospitality industry personnel.
- Have extensive knowledge of Austin history, attractions and offerings as a convention and tourism destination; serve as knowledgeable and well-informed contact for media requests.
- Draft and distribute pitches and news releases to local, regional and national and select international markets. Follow up on media inquiries/leads by telephone, email, social media or other personal correspondence.
- Build and maintain relationships with local media to provide support for news reports pertinent to the hospitality industry and Austin CVB operations.
- Develop and maintain relationships with regional, national and international print, broadcast and online leisure travel journalists.
- Secure coverage of Austin in national conventions/meetings and travel trade publications.
- Develop and maintain local, regional and national and international media lists using an online database; track editorial coverage online and report to supervisors.
- Write and compile media kits, including news releases, fact sheets, statistics, historical materials, economic impact reports, photographic and/or videos, and other necessary research to generate editorial coverage of Austin.
- Organize and host domestic and international media visits and group press trips. Duties include accompanying journalists/writers on tours, planning itineraries, securing complimentary or discounted accommodations, meals, transportation and entertainment options when appropriate.
- Plan and host press tours for pre-qualified journalists in conjunction with Texas Tourism.
- Attend select conventions, trade shows and/or conferences to promote Austin to media.
- Represent Austin CVB in the local community.
- Support publication and collateral development and production by proof reading and editing editorial copy.
- Keep staff and partners apprised of key media placements.
- Assist supervisors with preparation of annual budget and marketing plans.
- Prepare monthly expense report and donated services report from press trips and site visits.
- Provide communications support to all CVB departments.
- Maintain media database in a CRM system.
- Co-supervise Film, Tourism and Communications coordinator.
Key qualifications include:
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite and database management.
- Flexible schedule required (after-hours and weekends).
- Experience with results driven programs.
- Account management and development experience.
- Effective time management and multitasking skills.
- Excellent written, spelling, grammatical, proofreading and oral skills.
Required are a bachelor’s degree and 3 – 5 years successful experience in public relations/communications field. Previous experience working with local and state government officials such as working with city hall, state legislature, etc.
Interested qualified individuals should email a resume and cover letter by Friday, December 9, 2016. ACVB is an equal opportunity employer.