« Back To Previous Page

Oakwood Cemetery

  • 1601 Navasota St.
  • Tel: (512) 978-2320
  • Fax: (512) 978-2321

Established in 1839 and originally called City Cemetery, this is the oldest of five public cemeteries in Austin. The first reported burial was that of an enslaved person in 1839, and the earliest monument was erected to memorialize two men killed by Native Americans in 1842. The cemetery became the city’s official burial ground in 1856, and, shortly thereafter, the Austin Cemetery Association was established to care for the landscape. The 40-acre cemetery’s 23,000 burials—reflective of Austin’s diverse population with two Jewish sections and the burials of colonial pioneers and five governors—is managed by the City and continues to receive burials.