With South by Southwest Music Festival 2016 (SXSW) hot on our heels and thousands of bands from all around the globe coming in for a piece of the fun, we thought it would be a good time to shine light on some of our local heroes playing the fest.
These ten bands embody Austin’s diverse, hardworking music scene and are sure to blow minds for locals and unsuspecting attendees alike.
Moving Panoramas. Courtesy of Shelley Haim.
1. Moving Panoramas are an all-female indie dream gaze trio. Their spacey, reverb-soaked sound has made their shows a local staple.
March 15 - Official SXSW Showcase @ The Sidewinder Inside
March 16 - Official SXSW Showcase @ ScratcHouse Backyard
2. Night Drive provides the perfect soundtrack for the frenetic nature of SXSW. After having toured with CHVRCHES, their energetic beats will keep you on your feet and dancing through the crowd. Make sure to follow @MusicAustin during Music Week to see Night Drive take over our Instagram account!
March 13 - Smash the Jar Showcase @ Javelina
March 14 - Solstice Presents: Magical Monday @ Empire Control Room
March 15 - Spider House Presents: Yacht w/ Night Drive and Slooom @ Spider House Cafe & Ballroom
March 19 - 103.1 iHeart Austin 3rd Birthday Bash @ Maggie Mae’s Gibson Room
March 19 - Official SXSW Showcase @ Icenhauer's
Emily Wolfe. Courtesy of Stevan Alcala.
3. Dream rocker Emily Wolfe is an absolute local favorite around these parts. Praised for her powerful vocals and heavy guitar, Wolfe has been featured by both the Wall Street Journal and NPR and has also performed at ACL Music Festival.
March 12 - uShip's Annual House Party @ uShip World Headquarters
March 13 - Spring Break Boogie @ The Volstead
March 16 - KLBJ SXSW Live Broadcast @ Shady Grove
March 17 - Gibson USA Showcase @ Maggie Mae's
March 19 - Official SXSW Showcase @ Trinity Hall at Old School
4. Walker Lukens performs a futuristic strain of blues and alt-rock that has received praise from NPR, the Austin Chronicle and the Austin American-Statesman.
March 15 - SXSW Second Play Stage @ Hotel Van Zandt
March 17 - Hair of the 3-Legged Dog Day Party @ The Grackle
March 17 - Official SXSW Showcase @ Lamberts BBQ
March 19 - SXSW Second Play Stage @ Hyatt Regency
Uncle Lucius. Courtesy of Conqueroo.
5. Uncle Lucius are as Southern rock as it gets. If you’re roaming around looking for the crème of Texas/Americana roots music, look no further.
March 15 - Official SXSW Showcase @ Maggie Mae’s Gibson Room
6. Otis the Destroyer are like dynamite on stage. Fusing rock and blues music mixed with psychedelic sonic experimentation, they ooze with '60s-style rock that could only come from Texas.
March 11 - DO512 Epic! Interactive @ Hotel Vegas
March 13 - Spring Break Boogie @ The Volstead
March 19 - Official SXSW Showcase @ Javelina
Bayonne. Courtesy of Pooneh Ghana.
7. Bayonne is a dynamic onstage composer who uses hypnotic rhythms and delicate notes to captivate audiences. His upcoming release “Primitives” is already garnering critical praise from the likes of Rolling Stone.
March 13 - Peak Joy @ Mohawk
March 17 - Official SXSW Showcase @ Barracuda
March 18 - Official SXSW Showcase @ Victorian Room at The Driskill
8. Ruby Jane and the Reckless are a five-piece band that incorporates rock, folk, jazz and funk. At only 21 years old, lead singer-songwriter Ruby Jane is already an established fiddle-player who has toured with the likes of Willie Nelson and Ray Benson and is also one of the youngest to perform at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville.
March 14 - All The Friends Ball @ Spiderhouse Ballroom
March 15 - Music Tech Mashup @ Empire Control Room
March 18 - The Future of Music Showcase @ Shiner's Saloon
Calliope Musicals. Courtesy of Kate Blaising.
9. Have you ever heard of psychedelic party-folk? Calliope Musicals, who labels themselves as a circus, perfectly embodies this high-energy music style that's definitely a spectacle to witness.
10. The Nightowls are a Southern soul band, notorious for high-energy rhythm & blues inspired by music from the '60s and '70s. Follow @MusicAustin to catch The Nightowls Instagram take-over during Music Week, where you can get SXSW insider tips and see behind the scenes pics from the band.
March 15 - Official SXSW Showcase @ Maggie Mae's Gibson Room
March 18 - Official SXSW Showcase @ Palm Door on Sabine
The Nightowls. Courtesy of Nicola Gell.
Want to see these bands (and more) in action? Click the button below to explore a video playlist featuring all Austin artists performing at SXSW, courtesy of FreqSho:
Contributed by Caley Berg, ACVB Music Marketing Intern