Are you coming in for SXSW and want to truly experience Austin while you are here? Check off the items in the list below so you can brag about your Austin trip to your friends back home:
1. Eat some barbecue and Tex Mex. You shouldn't visit Austin without trying what we are most known for - barbecue and Tex Mex. There are too many great spots to list, but here are some of our favorites to get you started. If you happen to be a vegetarian, check out these instead. But, remember, vegetarians can eat queso too!
2. Explore Texas' history. Texas has a fascinating story. Why not take a quick walk up Congress Avenue and check out the Texas State Capitol (which offers free tours) and the Bullock Texas State History Museum? Looking for Texas and Austin souvenirs? Our new Visitor Center has merch.
3. Take a walk or jog around the Lady Bird Lake Hike & Bike Trail. The hike & bike trail is just across Cesar Chavez from the Austin Convention Center and downtown hotels and is a great way to experience Austin's outdoors. Run off those breakfast tacos while checking out Austin's skyline.
4. See some live music. Here for SXSW Interactive or Film and want to experience live music? There will be many live music performances during the SXSW parties, but we recommend checking out one of Austin's iconic music venues. Favorites include The Saxon Pub, Continental Club and The Elephant Room.
5. Enjoy one of Austin's many patios for a drink or bite to eat. Austin's restaurants and bars offer plenty of al fresco dining. Grab a new friend you met at SXSW and get to know each other while enjoying a margarita and Austin's spring weather.
Need more recommendations? Ask us in the comments or through our Twitter account, @VisitAustinTX.