3rd Annual Austin Remembers: MLK Digital Museum & Exhibits
- George Washington Carver Museum, Cultural & Genealogy Center
- 1123 Byers Lane
- Austin, TX 78753
- January 21, 2019 - February 28, 2019
- Recurring every week day
- Phone: (512) 584-3346
- Time: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Price: FREE
The 3rd Annual Austin Remembers: MLK Digital event honors Dr. Martin Luther King featuring oratory written to Dr. King from young Austin Area writers. The Augmented Reality event experience also features photos from Dr. Martin Luther King’s Civil Rights Meetings with President Lyndon Baines Johnson from the University of Texas LBJ Library. Audio speeches featured are from Austin Area Heritage Council’s MLK Oratory competition. Special Six Square mini-docs of Austin’s African American Community may be found hovering over The Texas African American History monument while using augzoo.
This FREE “Austin Remembers: MLK” digital installation is viewable using the free augzoo® Augmented Reality app only at the following specific locations:
– Martin Luther King Statue at University of Texas’ East Mall on MLK Day, Jan 21st.
– South Steps of the Texas Capitol extending to the Texas African-American Memorial Monument. (Jan 21st – Feb. 28th)
–The George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center atrium. (Jan 22nd – Feb. 28th)
Please note: You will need to have your wifi or data plan on to experience the installation.
• There will also be a special opportunity for the community to share and record their own MLK experiences at the Carver Museum on the 22nd, 23rd & 24th of January. These recordings will be edited into an expanded Augmented Reality installation at the Carver Museum atrium during Black History month.
This event is presented by augzoo LLC, The George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center and is partially funded by City of Austin Cultural Arts.
The augzoo app is free to download. Simply download the app for your Android or iPhone and visit any of the following locations: George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center, MLK Statue (East Mall of the University of Texas at Austin), South Steps of the Texas Capitol and The Texas African American History monument.
*** Would you like to share an MLK Story of your own? ***
You can be part of this special MLK Augmented Reality installation too. Simply visit the George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center on 1165 Angelina St. Austin, TX during the following days and times to record your own MLK story. The stories collected will be edited and become part of a special community installation at the Carver Museum during Black History Month, February 2019.
Audio Recording times at the Carver Museum:
January 22 – 3:30 – 5:30 pm
January 23 – 2:00 – 3:00 pm
January 24 – 6:30 – 8:30 pm
* Ask receptionist in which room the recordings are taking place the day you visit.