The Homes We Build is an interactive, participatory experience for two people to simulate a 60-year relationship by simulating a series of short vignettes that make up a shared life. Over the course of 4 hours, two players experience relationship milestones large and small that evoke joy, laughter, pain, mortality, insecurity, and love, all from the comfort of your own home.
By the end of the experience, you will have confronted your partner’s mortality and what it would mean to live without them. After reflecting on a life lived - will you make different decisions in your own life while there is still time?
For people who are strangers or who are new to their relationship, this experience can help them prepare for the future, spark important conversations, or just experience a sense of wonder and possibility. Past participants have felt nostalgia for a life they never lived and marveled at their own ability to create an entire fictional life together in a short period of time.
You will choose between playing yourself or creating a character. The experience is designed to be inclusive of all gender identities and sexual orientations, and uses gender-neutral language throughout.
This project is supported in part by the Cultural Arts Division of the City of Austin Economic Development Department.
- You will need a person you feel comfortable simulating a fictional romantic relationship with you who is physically present with you for the experience,
- a private domestic space with a bed and a bathroom.
- A way to play audio files (a computer or phone) ideally through a speaker to amplify sound, though not necessary
- a device with Zoom for the initial orientation
- several small household props:
• A coin (to flip)
• A lightweight ball (or just a rolled up sock)
• A bowl, basket, or trash can that the ball or sock can be thrown into
About the artists
The three creators of THWB are Katie Green, Sean Moran, and Michael Rau. Katie works as an immersive theatre creator and is a licensed professional counseling associate. Sean is a performer, theatre-maker and teacher. Michael Rau is a theatre director, new media creator, and assistant professor at Stanford University.View Map