The integrated campaign celebrates the city’s street art scene and the artists behind some of Austin’s must-see murals.
(Austin, TX - March 2, 2021) Visit Austin today launched a new campaign “Vibrant City” to showcase Austin’s creative culture and to highlight opportunities to potential visitors. The integrated campaign, including a mini documentary, celebrates the city’s mural scene and the artists behind some of Austin’s must-see murals. Visit Austin partnered with Austin-based production company Arts+Labor to bring this story to life. The mini documentary can be viewed here.
“Visitors can experience Austin’s creative side in a whole new way with Visit Austin’s first augmented reality (AR) filters, available on Instagram. Visitors and Austinites can use the AR filters to bring the murals to life and share their immersive experience with others,” said Susan Richardson, Director of Content and Digital Marketing at Visit Austin. "We also developed a custom web experience that allows users to learn more about the featured artists and Austin’s vibrant mural scene,” added Richardson.
The website is located here: www.visitaustin.org/murals
Austin is home to a diverse group of artists. Their stories and varying perspectives are reflected in the murals and street art around the city. The featured artists and murals (in order of appearance):
- Federico Archuleta: Let’s Band Together, located at Whisler’s, 1816 E. Sixth St., IG: @el_federico
- Zuzu: Never Forget, located at Lustre Pearl East, 114 Linden St., IG: @zuzubee
- Rex Hamilton: Mural at Seaholm Power Plant, near 800 W. Cesar Chavez St., IG: @rexhamiltonart
- Sadé Lawson: It’s Okay to Not Be Okay, located at 115 Sandra Muraida Way (N. Lamar and Fourth St.), IG: @coslawson.
"Vibrant City is one of our creative highlights from a chaotic year. This project showcases Austin through artist storytelling and invites visitors to immerse in a virtual experience," said Alan Berg, Principal and Co-Founder of Arts+Labor. "Having a partner like Visit Austin provided a platform to share this project with visitors who are ready to start planning travel again. Access to local musicians helped bring these films to life with an Austin soundtrack," Berg continued.
How to access Visit Austin’s AR filters:
- Follow @VisitAustinTX on Instagram.
- Tap the effects tab above our feed. Then select the effect and tap “try it” while you’re near the mural pictured.
- Position your phone like you’re taking a photo of the mural and watch it come to life.
- If you like what you see, save the effect by tapping the “save” icon in the lower right-hand corner of the effect.
About Visit Austin
Visit Austin is the official destination marketing and sales organization for the City of Austin. An accredited member of Destinations International, Visit Austin is charged with marketing Austin nationally and internationally as a premier business and leisure destination, thus enriching our community's overall quality of life.