Named after the state-designated African American Cultural Heritage District where it is located, the African American Cultural & Heritage Facility adds to the area’s cultural significance by facilitating arts, business, cultural and entertainment programming.
The Dedrick-Hamilton House was owned by Thomas Dedrick, one of the first freed slaves in Travis County. The home, built about 1880, was in one of the earliest African American communities in East Austin. The fully restored historic house now serves as an African American Visitors Center and retail shop. The Dedrick-Hamilton House Visitors Center is the centerpiece of the AACHF and is framed by the complimentary modern structure, which houses the Greater Austin Black Chamber of Commerce and the Office of Arts & Cultural Resources.