The Attendee's Ultimate Austin Checklist
25 Things To Do Before or After Your Meeting
Headed to Austin for a meeting, conference or business trip? During your downtime, check off some of these items so you can brag about your trip to your friends back home! Boutique hopping, live music, breakfast tacos, athletic endeavors, wine tastings — this is how to truly experience Austin.
The Austin Beer Garden Brewing Company. Courtesy of Jody Horton Photography.
1. Attend a silly, off-the-wall event. Think brewery tastings, a sing-a-long or quote-a-long of your favorite cult classic at Alamo Drafthouse or ice skating on the rooftop at the Whole Foods Flagship during the winter.
3. Browse South Congress Avenue’s funky antique, vintage, costume and candy shops.
4. Catch live music at an iconic Austin venue such as Antone’s, the Continental Club, Mohawk, Elephant Room or Stubb’s.
5. Check out the engaging exhibits at the LBJ Presidential Library.
Gary Clark Jr. at Antone's. Credit Roger Ho.
6. Spend an afternoon on the links while playing a ground of golf at one of the many area championship courses.
7. Watch the sun set over Lake Austin after taking a quick hike up Mount Bonnell.
8. Hop around Sixth Street after dark and let the music spilling out into the street pull you inside.
Burro Food Truck. Credit Geoff Duncan.
10. Look up in awe at the domed Texas State Capitol.
11. Paddle board or kayak Lady Bird Lake.
12. Picnic, fly a kite or attend an event at Zilker Park.
14. See a concert at Austin City Limits Live at the Moody Theater; home to the famed public television program.
15. See a movie with dinner at the Violet Crown Cinema.
Texas State Capitol. Courtesy of the Texas State Preservation Board.
16. Sip your way around the Texas Wine Trail.
17. Stop to take in the natural beauty at Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.
18. Swim in underground-spring-fed Barton Springs Pool - it's a cool 68 °F all year round!
19. Tour an underground cavern filled with stalactites and stalagmites at the Cave Without a Name in Boerne.
20. Try unique flavors like avocado or white ginger amaretto at Amy’s Ice Creams.
Waiting for the bats at the Congress Avenue Bridge. Credit Pierce Ingram.
21. Learn the Texas two-step at the Broken Spoke.
22. Experience Texas history and heritage in action at one of our many museums.
23. Wander around the Cathedral of Junk.
24. Watch the Congress Avenue Bridge bats – the world’s largest urban bat colony – emerge at sunset (April through November).